Call for Entries
Raindance Film Festival invites UK and International producers and filmmakers to submit their films, web series, music videos and virtual reality experiences to its 25th edition that will take place from 20th September to 1st October 2017 in central London.
The Raindance Film Festival aims to show the very best in new cinema from the UK and around the world and specialises in first-time directors and discovery.
The Festival accepts feature films (over 45 min.), short films (under 45 min.), music videos (under 6 min), VR experiences and 360 films (under 30min) and web series. Projects of all lengths and genres are welcomed and the Raindance Film Festival is committed to showing the boldest and most innovative work, and films that challenge the boundaries of filmmaking.
- Narrative Feature
- Documentary Feature
- Narrative Short
- Documentary Short
- Animation Short
- Music Video
- LGBT (Feature)
- Virtual Reality and 360 films (Learn how to submit your short Virtual Film reality here)
- Web Series
- In Competition
- Official Selection
- Raindance LGBT
- Special Screenings
- Raindance Symphony Orchestra
- Music Videos
- Virtual Reality Experiences
- Raindance Web Fest
- Feature Films must be at least UK Premieres: they must not have been released in the UK on any format, nor screened publicly online.
- There is no Premiere policy for short films and music videos, they may have screened at other Festivals and/or online.
- Raindance accepts work-in-progress cuts but we will not accept subsequent cuts of more complete versions. Please send your film in the most complete and finished form possible to be reviewed.
How to Submit
Submissions are open via withoutabox or
*VR films to be submitted via FilmFreeway only.
To be eligible for Raindance 2017 your film must have been completed after 1 January 2016.
Submission deadlines and fees
|Date||Deadline||Feature Fee||Shorts Fee||Music Video Fee|
|28 April 2017||Early Deadline||£55||£25||£25|
|19 May 2017||Regular Deadline||£70||£35||£35|
|02 June 2017||Late Deadline||£100||£50||£50|
|09 June 2017||WAB Extended Deadline||£150||£80||£80|
31 August 2017 – notification date
All the submissions for Raindance Film Festival are to be paid by credit card. The submission fee is non-refundable.
RAINDANCE MEMBERS CAN SUBMIT ONE SHORT OR A FEATURE AT HALF PRICE.
Raindance members can submit one short/music video or a feature at half price. If you are a member email firstname.lastname@example.org to receive your unique waiver code. Please include your membership number and expiry date. To join Raindance please go to: http://www.raindance.org/premium/
Submissions are reviewed and selected under the following criteria:
- Quality of narrative and production values.
- Independent nature of the production.
Raindance will notify all submitting parties on 31 August 2017, in writing, if their submission has been successful or not after that time. Successful submissions will receive a Filmmaker Festival Pack that will include important information on shipping the DCP to the Festival, press and publicity, guest accreditation, contact information and how to make the most of participating in the Festival.
Selected films MUST provide a Digital Cinema Package (DCP) in order to be screened at the Raindance Film Festival, as well as a backup Blu-ray (except VR experiences and 360 films.)
- Film of the Festival
- Best Director
- Best Screenplay
- Best Actor
- Best Actress
- Best International Feature
- Best UK Feature
- Best Documentary Feature
- Discovery Award
- Best Short
- Best UK Short
- Best Documentary Short
- Best Animation Short
- Best Music Video
Virtual Reality experiences and 360 films
- Best Interactive Narrative Experience
- Best Mobile Interactive Experience
- Best Cinematic Narrative Experience
- Best Documentary Experience
- Best Music Experience
- Best Animation Experience
- Best Branded Experience
- Best Sensual Experience
- Best Social Impact Experience
- Best Sound Design Experience
Raindance Film Festival is officially recognised by the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences USA, the British Academy of Film and Television Arts and the British Independent Film Awards. Selected shorts will qualify for Oscar® and BAFTA nominations. British short films that play in competition and all British features that play in 2016 will be eligible for entry for the 2016 British Independent Film Awards BIFA.
Filmmakers discuss their Raindance Film Festival experience
Virtual Reality Experiences:
- Best Interactive Narrative Experience
- Bes Mobile Interactive Experience